Saturday, October 20, 2012

License, Badge, Floor Rails, Clock/ Speedo





So after a long row with the California DMV, I finally got my scoot registered and plated!  I also successfully earned my MC license. I had an issue with my VIN on the body not being readable, So I had to go the CHP, another trip and appointment. I used chalk to fill in what was apparently unreadable. Also the first lady at the DMV didn't like my odometer, ( did have a traditional looking speedo in there, albeit- it was a Photoshop/ and Kinko's.. job). The CHP officer told me it was fine and waived it off :) 



The Chalk worked great! Their original suggestion was to
take a wire brush the body! ... Uh?! Hell NO YOU AINT!


I installed my floor rails over the last few days, they required a lot of attention and customizing. I spent a least an hour carefully fitting the shape to the floor of my scooter. I had to cut down the length of 1 rail on each side because it was too long.  Also I had to drill new holes to match the holes in my floor. The rivets that I received  with my set weren't long enough on the end caps. I opted to use bolts, and chrome dome caps for the front side, which allowed for a safer install and a overall cleaner look I think. Oh yeah,  I also had to hacksaw some length off the bottom of my leg-shield trim.. yeah that was super fun! (sarcasm)..Here are a few pics.










 I also put on my new Allstate badge, which I found at Scooterwest.com, a bit pricey, but they were the only source I could find, it's decent quality, I did have to polish it up quite a bit, since it wasn't chromed, and it turned out nice. It went on pretty easy with the hammer-able rivets, but wow, so easy to screw up and chip your paint. I used lots of care.



Rivets on the backside. I had to pull out the touch up paint
when I finished :(




Updated my speedo, I decided to go with my own custom version for now, and I put the clock back in, and Yes! it works! :D  I do still need to get a new chrome bezel and glass, as mine is pretty ugly, but it works for the time being.



This is my Photoshop replica custom, pre-cut version
(easier to see, when not behind the glass)




Here is my  original colors replica, clock style.



Im waiting on a few more things like a Piaggio horn-cast emblem. I realize Allstates didn't really have them, but I really think it'll look nice. Also I have a glove box lock, and a new horn on the way...






No comments:

Post a Comment