Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Step 1 - Evaluation and Goals

I have had this scoot for a long time... originally bought from a kid who built it into the frankenscoot that it is. The frames is a 65 Allstate, but it has been converted to 10" wheels, and it has a stock P200 engine. The electrical has all been upgraded to 12 Volt, and runs off the engine (no battery), also the tail light has been upgraded to VBB style, more functional i guess, and the oil just goes in premixed like the old style.


 I love this thing.. f-ing fast with all the cool of the old school. I rode it for about 3 years until, I started having clutch issues, slipping (worn out cruciform), and some carb issues (boging and stalling) It sat garaged for way too long. Then I got brave, armed with my Haynes manual and beer... I removed the engine, split the cases and renewed the seals, cruciform, and rebuilt my carb.. and Voila! she was back!

... Until I started to have stalling issues again, I was stumped. Cleaned the carb, again. Pulled the gas tank, had it cleaned, put in a new sediment thingy, new fuel line.. and still was having starting and stalling issues. I was stumped. Then after much research I tried replacing the flywheel oil seal and... hot damn! she's never been more happy! Been out riding the last month, and all is good! Until I started thinking, how great it would be to have it properly restored and properly painted... and so that is where I am now!

Next step paint removal and disassemble... I have to admit this is pretty intimidating, I've spent the last week reading, researching and convincing myself I can do this... but I think Ive done the hardest part already, being the engine rebuild..and that went good, and wasn't as bad as I thought...so what the hell, I can do this! Im going to just try and enjoy the process. My goal is to have it completed in plenty of time for good weather in the spring and the upcoming summer rally.

On the whole the body is pretty clean, and straight, but there
are a few dents, like on the side cowl.

P200 engine, note the duck tape on the kick (one of the 10"
wheel conversion issues, hits the engine cowl),
Red original paint
Original badges are missing. Note the crap paint job 
on the fender. Horn doesn't work (is 6V)

Not bad for a rattle can job eh? Unfortunately if you get
closer its less impressive, and fairly mediocre
looking paint job.
Rails are pretty dead looking, and one is missing, center mat
is missing.
Headlight bezel is dented. Speedo is MIA, so I put a clock
in there..
kinda like that part, may just improve on that a bit... 









No comments:

Post a Comment