Sunday, February 19, 2012

Step 3 - Still sanding and cleaning up stuff

Sanding, sanding and more sanding... wow this really was more work than I realized. There were 3 layers of paint, so that was part of the pain. In future, I would absolutely consider sending it off to be media blasted. I finally got the dust cover off the fork, which was preventing me from removing the fender. I found a hand held torch for like 12 bucks at Home Depot. I had to heat the dust cover, and then tap from underneath to get it to move. It took alot of wedging and taping and more wedging, there was the cover and then a collar, 2 pieces that eventually came off and  then fender came off! Yay! I removed the damper, and managed to slam my hand against the fork and lost a good chunk of skin... grrrr, did I mention that this wasnt very fun? Now Im stuck trying to get the spring off, etc.. I have to find some manual info on that.








I did some body filler on several spots on the fender and the side cowls, I decided against trying to do any body, hammering/ shaping... ran out of money.. and wasnt sure I'd really do a good job. Did a final sanding at 220 grit. Now Im down to my drum hubs, I have to sand in-between the fins... so  I bought this cool wire brush drill attachment.. I started to use it, works pretty good paint removal in those little areas, but running a drill for long periods will run the battery down fast... Again this would be so much easier if I would have just sent this to be blasted... live and learn I guess.





So this week I'll finish up the small details, then sometime in the next week or so Im going to have a friend of a friend spray it for me. Im still deciding on color, and type of paint, been going between Enamel and Urethane, but the latter is a bit more pricey... decisions decisions. I was intrigued by the single stage urethane... but I really want to have clear coat.. and I want it be nuts glossy.. so I nixed that idea.

I have a giant order compiled for ScootRs, they have such great prices and options, and I've heard good feedback on their products. Lot of replacement stuff, a rear rack, chrome stuff, front seat cover, bolts, floor runners, new bits here and there.. will add up to a nice new custom look! I did get my order for 3 whitewall tires from Scooter Mercato, in GA, they have a nice selection of stock and great prices too.

No comments:

Post a Comment