Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Step 3 1/2 - Front shock dis-assembly

Front shock dis-assembly - Brought this inside.. too cold and dark in the garage! So this required a bit of a strategic removal order, and good lighting. To start I removed the damper shock ( previous session.. involved blood..)  despite the pain, it was pretty straight forward, a few bolts on the top and bottom. Then I got confused in trying to remove the spring... what I found is that what you actually have to do is remove the brake pads, then the fork.


To remove the brake pad, wedge a screw driver between the
2 plates where they overlap (bottom of pic) through the bolt.
Lift the top one away and then they come off easily.



 To  remove the fork from the the drive spindle, I dislodged 1 of long pins that extend from inside of the drum hub through the fork, and then comes out the other side of the fork link (usually has the chrome cover on it).  I had to tap it with a hammer, once I removed the top pin (that was holding the fork) The spring came loose. I recommend taking a few pictures so you can remember how it all goes back together.


Here I dislodged the pin, with a hammer, and the a screw driver
(through the fork link) that held the fork on, once that bolt/ pin
was through the tube, the spring came loose.

Here is the bolt/ pin almost all the way through, sticking out
of the brake hub.

Picture for reference of the wire for the brake cable, it fell off
and I was confused which way it went back on... Imagine in 2
months when re-assemble.. my memory will surely fail me.

Here's everything! the large ring is the plate that just rests
underneath the pads, (back side of the hub) and now will get
painted :D along with the fork, and I ordered a chrome spring!


No comments:

Post a Comment