Saturday, March 10, 2012

DIY is the name of the game. Painters cap on...

After going back and forth about where and who could paint my beloved scooter, I have opted to do it myself. I chose this option based on the ridiculous prices and answers I got when I asked a few local shops. I was being quoted about $1000 - $1600 (N. California) I just couldn't make sense of that figure, when I know that I could do a very similar job myself for more that half that price. I racked up a total of about $250 (before shipping), that included a paint gun, a diff spray tip, air hose, metal prep cleaner, paint, primer, clear coat, wax and grease remover, a respirator, paint cups, and strainers!


I found a great resource for all my supplies, its called  TCP Global  they have all the major paint brands like PPG, House of Kolor, Kustom Shop,  and more. They also carry major professional brands of paint guns, and supplies. Its a huge web site. I was able to read the Material Data Sheets too, (helpful when you have specific questions about gun specifications, and mixing questions etc) The great part is that their prices are super competitive, and in all cases I found - better, than what i found on amazon, local, and various online options. ... Anyway I found literally everything I needed on their site, except the air compressor, which Im going to rent ;) 

Here is the paint that I chose: 

Black Diamond, Urethane Metallic Base 
from Kustom Shop.  Im going to top 
coat it with their  2K Speed 
Urethane Clear

So when it all arrives, Im going to built a little paint booth in my garage, using this basic DYI Paintbooth and start shooting!

The cool thing about doing this all myself is that I will get the experience and control of doing this part of the project. Hopefully all will turn out good and I will be doing this again on another scooter!


No comments:

Post a Comment